Sunday, October 14, 2007

Philippians 1:21-30

FOR AUDIO VERSION CLICK HERE.

21For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. 23But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; 24yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake. 25 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy in the faith, 26so that your proud confidence in me may abound in Christ Jesus through my coming to you again.

Paul is torn between dying and being with Christ and living and bringing Christ to the fellowship of believers still fighting the good fight. He sees himself staying here for the progress and joy of the faith. This entire first chapter is about ministering to "others" and giving himself to that end to encourage their walk with Jesus and with one another.

27Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or remain absent, I will hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel; 28in no way alarmed by your opponents-which is a sign of destruction for them, but of salvation for you, and that too, from God. 29For to you it has been granted for Christ's sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake, 30experiencing the same conflict which you saw in me, and now hear to be in me.

I am fascinated with the use of the term "gospel," urging those in Philippi to walk worthy of the good news (gospel) of Christ. He goes on to give some direction as to how to conduct their lives in a manner worthy of the gospel:

1. Stand firm together in one spirit 2. Strive together for the faith of the gospel 3. Stop being alarmed by what others say 4. Simply believe in Jesus and also be ready to suffer for His sake.

So, what is the gospel? I think it is simpler than how we might normally articulate it. The gospel is Jesus! Jesus truly was the word that became flesh and dwelled among us. I've been reading through the life of a most unique follower of Jesus, E. Stanley Jones. He says, "Everything Jesus taught was a fact within Himself. He didn't bring the good news: He was the good news! The gospel lies in His person. Philosophies point to truths; Jesus said, 'I am the truth!' Moralists point to the way; Jesus said, 'I am the way!' Religions point to the life; Jesus said, 'I am the life!' Philosophies and moralisms, however good they may be, are powerless to change character and life. They may influence character and life marginally, but cannot change them." Everyone else is into making people better; Jesus makes them different. Religions try to produce reformation; Jesus is into personal transformation.

"When you take hold of Jesus, you take hold of God. Jesus is not a third something or someone that comes between you and God-JESUS IS GOD AVAILABLE!" And the believers in Philippi were urged to walk in a manner worthy of Jesus-to walk, talk, think and love like Jesus.

This is also for you and me today, too. I am stubbornly working on this in my spiritual journey. How is it going with you?

No comments: